Monday, January 4, 2016

Things I Loved in 2015

In a fit of nostalgia, I went back through my facebook timeline to see what got my attention this year. This made me realize that I curate the life I present online much more than I thought I did, but it also provided a lot of pop culture that I want to make you aware of, in case you missed the wonders that 2015 had for us.

1. Hamilton
gif source
Let's all just remember 2015 as the year that Hamilton came out and rocked the world. If you haven't experienced it yet (and you're nowhere near New York to see it on Broadway), the whole soundtrack is on Spotify and it's sung-through, so you're not missing any crucial parts of exposition of this hip-hop musical about America's first treasury secretary. All I can tell you is how fantastic it is and how glad I am that Lin-Manuel Miranda exists and made such a glorious thing.

2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

gif source
I have so many thoughts and feelings about the new Star Wars movie, but I'll save them until I have something new to say. Or a compilation of the fantastic things that have been said.

3. Age of Ultron

gif source
For a movie that had so many checkboxes to tick, it was truly a fun ride that gave us smiles and feelings. It's what I want from a Marvel movie and the haters can just step on away. I loved it.

4. Inside Out

gif source
It's that Disney movie about feelings. I own it, so you bring the tissues and we'll just have a grand old time.

5. Live Vol. 4


I have been waiting longer than I want for a new Avetts album and when Seth sang this song at NYE 2014, my heart split into pieces. Of course I bought Live Vol. 4 as soon as I heard about it and I've listened to it at least five times since then. Taking rain like an appaloosa hoof print. It's the Avetts I fell in love with.

6. New Horizons

NASA/APL/SwRI
It was a great year for space news and the flyby past Pluto of NASA's New Horizon probe gave us so many wonderful things.

7. (Probably definitely) Water on Mars

NASA/JPL/University of Arizona
The photo link has a description of what exactly is going on in this picture, but flowing water on the surface of Mars! Guys! Space news! More reasons for space exploration!

8. Jessica Jones, Daredevil, iZombie, Agent Carter, Agents of SHIELD, and Supernatural

gif source
Each one of these could get their own number on this list, but they're the "current" shows I watched this year. If you've got the time, I have nothing but praise for Jessica Jones, Daredevil, and Agent Carter. If you've got even more time, WATCH iZOMBIE WITH ME. And Supernatural. And Agents of SHIELD. Glorious timesucks.

9. Agora


This fantastic movie (which was on Netflix the last time I checked) tells the story of Hypatia, an astronomer in 4th century Alexandria. It has an extraordinarily intelligent and sympathetic depiction of people who choose religious fundamentalism and those who choose pure rationalism. Plus Oscar Isaac pre-Star Wars. But mostly, the smart stuff.

10. Welcome to Night Vale: The Novel and The Investigators

gif source
Joseph Fink has long said that 2015 would be the best year ever and man, did Night Vale deliver this year. The Night Vale novel was fantastic and I went to go see their touring live show, The Investigators, twice. If you've got minimum fifteen minutes of your life to spend, I'd love to introduce you to a friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep.  If you want to start listening on your own, it's available wherever fine podcasts are dropped. (I started listening on Soundcloud- scroll down to episode 1- it's a bit serialized.)

11. Veronica Mars, Casablanca, What We Do in the Shadows

gif source
All movies (and a movie plus a TV show) that I picked up on this year and will now incorporate into my life.

12. Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, and Trevor Noah

giphy.com
I cried at the end of the Colbert Report, I cried the most at the end of Jon's run on the Daily Show, and I did all the proxy server acrobatics possible to watch Trevor Noah's first Daily Show. Late night Comedy Central won't be the same, but it's gonna be good. (Also, tip of the hat to Larry Wilmore's show taking over Colbert's time slot- I've been a fan so far.)

13. Wait But Why

waitbutwhy.com
From his post on the impending AI Revolution to his thoughts on religion, Tim Urban has made my life so much better this year. Give some of his posts a read. A fantastic place to start is with the mammoth up above.

14. Postmodern Jukebox


Scott Bradlee had such a fantastic idea and every video they come out with is a winner on some level. Here, just take a listen to this playlist. Your ears will thank you.

15. Humans of New York

"What's the hardest part of being a mermaid?" "Holding your breath."- HONY
You've probably seen the posts around facebook and the internet, but the mind behind Humans of New York goes around New York (and the world) taking pictures of people and telling their stories. Some of his stories have literally changed the lives of the people in the photos, but sometimes they're just adorable and heartwarming. They've also got a book out!

16. Tomorrowland, Ant Man, Mad Max, The Martian

gif source
All four of these are movies that I will watch at the drop of a hat. Again, I hate to not give them all their own bullet point but life is short. 2015 did not disappoint. Hell, if a movie about a superhero the size of an ant can be superb, I can believe anything.

17. Thrilling Adventure Hour (& We Got This & Dear Hank and John)

gif source
This would have been the year of the podcast for me if there hadn't been so many other fantastic things going on. The Thrilling Adventure Hour ended its run, but all the episodes are still up for listening, Mark and Hal from TAH started their own hilarious podcast answering useless questions, and John and Hank of Vlogbrothers fame talk about the impending demise of the entire human race and give out dubious advice weekly on their often funny, often insightful podcast. Oh, and Serial's back this year, but I hardly need to tell the internet that.

No comments:

Post a Comment