Friday, January 1, 2016

Merry 2016, Everyone!

Waking up today was difficult, though maybe not for the traditional New Year's reasons. I didn't so much close out 2015 as run into 2016. That run came in the form of a cancelled flight, two rescheduled flights, a four-hour nap on a plane and half an hour of carrying my luggage through packed Edinburgh streets, because apparently I can't fly into town on a day when the airport bus hasn't been rerouted for some reason. But I was here in time for Hogmanay and Hogmanay in Edinburgh was, as has been my word for 2015, fantastic.


This video is after we sang Don't Stop Believing together as a massive mob and before the "Happy New Year!" guy in the video led us all in a shamefully lyric-lacking version of Auld Lang Syne. I went to the Princes Street party with Clara, a friend of mine from New College, and her friend and flatmate and flatmate's friends and we sang and danced and watched fireworks and it was an exceedingly pleasant way to ring in the new year.

But my body remembered that it had spent twenty-four hours in airports and on airplanes and that it had lugged thirty pounds of clothes and books farther than it ever wanted to and that dancing dehydrated in the Scottish cold was not the kindest set of activities I could have chosen to participate in after such a day. My body woke up around noon sore and with a cold.

You know what, though?

Worth it.

Everything is closed today, so there's no need for me to venture out into the world. I've got oatmeal and ramen and that'll hold me until I can do a proper grocery run tomorrow. Though this does not bode particularly well for my resolutions (to be non-stop and to pay attention), there's nothing stopping me from curling up with my Netflix and taking a vacation day, giving my body the space to find forgiveness for the past day or so.

So, thanks 2015, because you were a lovely addition to the years of my life, and thanks 2016 for all the things you haven't added to my life yet. I don't hold to hopes and expectations but I believe in the general positive nature of the world. Good things are coming our way, be they tiny and insignificant or monumentous and prayed for. I look forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment