Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Sports Envy

I have a sports problem.

Actually, lemme clarify. I feel as if that statement misrepresents me. I have a sports-access problem. Because, see, I'm really good at cheering for sports teams.

Good enough for ACC TV, good enough for anything.
And I miss having that in my life.

For example, my Tar Heels are RANKED in football, are 7-1 on the year, and are undefeated in ACC play AND I CAN'T WATCH A SINGLE GAME. I live in Chapel Hill for EIGHT YEARS and rarely if ever experienced this kind of hope and happiness when it came to life on the gridiron. The UNC-Duke football game, which is happening at noon, is sold out. Sold. Out. I went to a UNC-Duke football game when I was a kid because the tickets were cheap and group rates fill seats. What is going on in the world and why am I not there to experience it?

In a related example, the UNC Basketball team is preseason #1 for a record ninth time, according to the news articles, and I have a really good feeling about this year and as long as we don't have a Kendal Marshall situation happen with Marcus Paige, there could be some really good things happening come March. This could be somebody's year. Not mine, though. I'm across an ocean and I don't think they even know what ACC basketball is over here. Dear God, so help me, I don't think they even know what the ACC is.

Hell, even THE PANTHERS are having a knock-down season. I DON'T EVEN WATCH PANTHERS GAMES AND I'M JEALOUS.

And don't tell me that I could get into soccer. It's not even a real game.

Listen, nobody feel sorry for me or anything because I'm living my dreams and having a great time and all of that stuff and I definitely have not been missing crisp fall mornings turn into perfect fall afternoons than lean into chilly fall evenings whose time and tenor is directed by the travails and triumphs of the eleven men on the field wearing the right color jersey. I definitely do not have a deep-seated longing to walk into the Dean Dome one more time and Jump Around and scream and shout and cheer and put my arms around my friends while we sing Hark. I also do not need at all to dry my eyes right now.

All I'm saying is that I have some pent-up energy that is usually reserved for active following of athletics and I'm unsure of how to address that issue. Ugh. Maybe I'll take up baking or something.

1 comment: