Friday, March 18, 2016

Music Videos Part Seven

I'm starting to think that I just actually enjoy curating YouTube videos. So here are five more for your life:

1. Thriller by Michael Jackson


Let's not even pretend here. If I was making a list of the most important or significant music videos, Thriller would have topped the list. It's the video that made the storyline of the video an important part of the video. I believe it's the video that put MTV on the map. And it's the video that gave us the Thriller dance, the best thing to happen to Halloween parties since the Monster Mash. Watch it and glory, my friends. Watch and glory.

2. This Year by The Mountain Goats


Well, I never meant to imply that this entry in the list was going to be cheerful and un-disturbing. Just wait. It gets worse.

3. Brick by Ben Folds Five


Someone with a better eye for symbolism in visual arts would probably have a lot to say about the overhead shots displayed behind the band as they play this song about one of the weightiest decisions in person's life, but I wouldn't be that person because I'm too busy sobbing to actually watch the whole video.

4. Slight Figure of Speech by The Avett Brothers


You know what I find to be perfect about this? Not the commentary on American consumerist culture or general statement of disapproval about falsity of existence or the literal rage-quit that happens over the course of the song, but Joe Kwon's perfect cowbell face.

5. Oxford Comma by Vampire Weekend


Y'all, I can't anymore. Here's a video about punctuation. Directed by Richard Ayoade. Let's geek out about that in place of the other videos on this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment