Friday, April 1, 2016

Music Videos Part Nine

I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. But after that last post, I had too many runners up not to do another. So here you go, my friends. The 90's Strike Back.

1. Ironic by Alanis Morissette


Put your pedantry away, enjoy the song, and remember, if you need a little extra goodwill in your life, that this is the woman who played God in Dogma.

2. With Arms Wide Open by Creed


I include this one only because it was the power ballad of our middle school dances and I have a weird nostalgia for Friday nights in our gym, sitting on the bleachers and eating pizza while all those popular losers danced on a fake vinyl floor.

3. Closing Time by Semisonic


Did you know this song is about the birth of one of the band member's kids? Yeah. I read that on the internet somewhere. Puts a new perspective on it, don't it. Also, points for Little Kid Me for listening to a song that explicitly reference whisky and beer. Scandal!

4. Mr. Jones by Counting Crows


Not to be confused with the contemporary Christian Band, Casting Crowns, which I maybe did for a medium-sized chunk of my adolescence and couldn't understand why people who usually sang about Jesus were singing about Picasso and grey guitars. But we got through it.

5. I Want It That Way by the Backstreet Boys


My dance style is best modeled by AJ's emphatic gestures while he sings his verse. But also, if you don't join in with the "Don't want to hear you say" coming out of the bridge into the next to last chorus, you're not a human. You probably didn't cry when Littlefoot's mother died, did you? Robot.

Whew. Turns out the 90's are a scary place to go back to. A lot of aggression. But...
...
...
...
I want it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment